Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crafty Cats

Hi guys! I wanted to write a post to tell you about our latest venture, partnering with Independence Animal Shelter for their Mews on the Street program.

I feel like first, I should disclose that I am a total sap when it comes to animals. I have four cats at home (Lu, Sephie, Princess Meow Meow and Cammy) plus one dog (Ripley, who most of you know as The Daft Dog). I do short term foster care of cats and dogs occasionally, and work really, really hard to find foster and adoptive homes for animals, focusing primarily on animals from Independence Animal Shelter on Truman Road.

So when Independence Animal Shelter sent me an email asking if I would like to be the first business to take part in the Mews on the Street cat fostering program, I agreed immediately. I mean, I could sit around with cute kitties all day, play with them, and help them find adoptive homes? It's a win win for everyone involved!

A huge benefit to this program is we are giving the foster cats great exposure and more chances to meet their perfect new owners, while freeing up shelter space so that they can help even more animals. How it works is I have a crate, litter box, food and a cat. I feed, water, and care for the kitty, socializing it with our customers and artists and finding it the perfect adoptive home! The shelter handles the adoption fee and process, and then the kitty gets to go home with it's adoptive family, and Daft Crafts gets a new Crafty Cat to foster.

We started the program Tuesday, April 3rd, with Arella, a beautiful, long haired calico cat with a super fluffy tail and lots of love to spare!


Arella was adopted the following Saturday, and renamed Atticus by her new owner! Only four days hanging out at the shop before she found her new loving family! :)


Our second kitty we received to foster this week is Lotus, a beautiful, playful black cat! She is affectionate and sweet! She's only been here three days but I bet she will be adopted just as quickly! She is very playful, loves catnip, and is great with kids, other cats and dogs. 


I am so very excited to be able to be a part of this program!  If you want to come in to meet our Crafty Cat adoptables or are interested in adopting any of the cats, come by any time during business hours or for an art workshop! If you are interested in learning more about fostering feel free to contact me at daft_crafts@yahoo.com or visit your local animal shelter to see what programs exist in your area that you can participate in to help cats, dogs, even bunnies and other pets live in a stable family environment while they wait to be adopted into their forever homes.


Please share this post on your social media sites - Facebook, Twitter, and blogs. The more exposure these cats get, the better the program will work and we will hopefully be able to have at least one cat adopted through this program a week! :) We can't do it without help from you - you are what makes Daft Crafts great! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment