Thursday, February 16, 2012

Artist Showcase - Sarah Goins


Sarah Goins is a 22 year old fiber artist from Missouri. She was introduced to fiber arts at ten years old, when her parents first began their alpaca farm, and they would go to various expos and shows. She didn't begin actually experiment in fiber arts until about a year ago.

 "I decided that I wanted to start working with our fiber, and I just sat at my computer one night and read about different fiber arts like spinning, weaving, crochet, knit, etc. I eventually ran across a picture of these furry little spheres. I read about them and found out that they were beads for jewelry making or other crafts and that they were felted from sheep’s wool. It said they could be made by traditional felting (wet) or by needle felting. Instructions for the wet felting were given so I found some old yarn scraps and I separated the strands to form a little pile of fur. I then proceeded to make my very first felted object there in my dorm room sink! I was hooked from there I’d say. I Googled the other form, needle felting, and was even more intrigued! I found a video of a lady needle felting a wool pumpkin, and I knew that THAT was what I wanted to do. It just clicked as being perfect for me. I could work in 3D; which I had always loved, and I could use our alpaca fiber. I think the next day I went to Hobby Lobby and got my first set of felting needles and made my first needle felted alpaca snowman that night"


Traditional “wet” felting is done by applying water, heat and pressure to a collection of individual natural fibers to work them into a solid piece of fabric. You can make sheets of felt, beads, balls, scarves, hats, shoes, just about anything using this method.


Needle felting requires no water, heat or pressure. A special needle, with barbs around the edges, is used to poke into and grab individual fibers and tangle them up with each other to form your fabric. You are essentially creating a big hairy knot of fibers when you needle felt! This is great for doing any appliqué work onto other fabrics like clothing. With this method you can create 3-dimensional sculptures.


"Needle felting, to me, is more relaxing and personable I guess. I can really control what each piece will look like. It’s fascinating being able to sculpt something from a pile of loose fibers into a work of art with just my fingers and that needle. Wet felting I find more frustrating. There are so many variables you have to control. Needle felting may be more dangerous with the extremely sharp needles that I’ve repeatedly stabbed my fingers with, but I think it’s worth it in the end"




On the whimsy look of her art...

"Anything made from alpaca is a little whimsical. Not everyone can get their hands on one or has ever even seen an alpaca, however, people are becoming more aware and very intrigued with this sort of exotic animal. Alpaca fiber, especially suri, is actually a more difficult fiber to felt as opposed to wool or other natural fibers. It creates a more “hairy” felt, so I always tend to have these little wispy pieces of fiber floating around each piece like a little halo, and against the light, it does convey a rather whimsical, dreamy feel. I guess I could snip them off to perhaps make it look more polished, but, I’m into it, I think it looks great.

I still love a lot of the same movies, TV shows, books, etc. that I enjoyed when I was younger. I suppose all of those inspire me to create things that have a sort of child-like, whimsy feel. Every piece of work that I make must be approved by my six year old little brother. Children have this sense of wonder and they are so honest about what they feel. If he doesn’t like it, then no one else will ever see it. I think that my work, being judged in this manner, allows me to reach the kid in all of us. Especially since I do mostly miniatures; because whether secretly or not, I believe that everyone has a weak spot for all things cute and tiny"


So how did Sarah decide to make these whimsy little critters into a creative business?

 "In November 2010, I was still going to college and I received an email from the university that they were hosting a craft fair in December and it was free to reserve a spot to any students/alumni who had anything to sell. So, without much of a plan, I was like, “Totally! I’ll sell something.”

All I knew was that I wanted to incorporate our alpaca fiber in some way. So, like I said before, I researched a bit, ran across that felted pumpkin video, and in about two weeks I had basically taught myself how to needle felt, created a pretty solid design for my snowmen and brooches, made up an adequate inventory for the show and came up with a look and style for my work that people would respond exceptionally well to.
After that I started getting custom orders and decided to do more shows. Then I opened up my etsy shop online and not long after that, started selling at Daft Crafts!
As of now, I also sell on storenvy.com as well as another brick and mortar shop called the Quilter’s Harvest!



My absolute favorite part about this whole venture is all the people I have met. I have been so overwhelmed with all the positive feedback and loving words from people who admire what I do! When I receive a message from someone telling me that what I’m doing is so great and that I have a real talent; that really makes it all worthwhile. It’s so heart warming being appreciated for what you do! I never could have imagined last year, watching that pumpkin video that this is where I’d be today. I’m so grateful for all the people in my life who made it happen. Family, new friends, customers, students, fans and acquaintances, I wouldn’t be able to do any of this without them supporting me."

And here are some fun tidbits from Sarah..



Alpacas have the most gorgeous eyes! They are so big and pretty! Their eyelids have a beautifully dark ring around them that makes it look like they are wearing eyeliner, and are extenuated by mile-long eyelashes! They are sort of famous for those. That’s why I made sure to incorporate them into my logo!




They also make a humming sound that is so adorable. They always sound like they’re so curious. “Hmmm?” Thus, they are fun to talk to because they always answer you with another question.




You can see Sarah's amazing felted creations at Daft Crafts, by visiting her online store, or by liking her Facebook page!
To learn more about their Alpaca farm, My Sky Alpaca Farm, you can visit them here or on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment